Visual Story Telling is an important skill for designers. It is necessary to illustrate scenarios, create meaningful instructions and product explanations on posters. The rapid developments in the area of 3D modeling and rendering move the focus from classical illustrations to animated stories. Examples of such work are animated building instructions and product presentations.
Being able to actually SEE each scene and every detail within it, including the perspective of the camera, the lighting and the flow within the movie requires great attention. To gain sensitivity for these aspects, the tempo of the movie needs to be reduces. Stop-animation is the perfect way to enable the students to design and perceive every scene in detail.
- A tutorial on how to export your movie from Premiere (Windows) to the DV format which can be used on a Mac to create a DVD: Exporting Movie in DV format
- Katz, S. D. (1991). Film directing shot by shot: Visualizing from concept to screen. Studio City, CA: Michael Wiese Productions in conjunction with Focal Press. [download]
- Tom Schroeppel (1982). Bare Bones Camera Course for Film and Video [download]
- Rabiger, M. (2003). Directing: Film techniques and aesthetics (3rd ed.). Amsterdam; Boston: Focal Press.
- Henderson, B. (2006). The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.Villard Books. [download chapter]
- Brands of the World – website with thousands logo’s and brand images in vector format
- GBTimelapse – Time-lapse software for Canon Digital Cameras
- Papagayo – lip-syncing program
- Sounddogs – online sound effects library
- Anasazi Stop Motion Animator (free)
- JLipSync Free Exposure Sheet Program (free)
- iStopMotion (commercial) Mac
- Stop Motion Studio (commercial) Windows
- PSRemote – Use your digital camera to make the movie
Hall of Honor
The following movies desever a place in the Hall of Honors. Click on the pictures to play the movies.
Murphy’s Lego Laws
A flying object will always land
where it can do the most damage
by Alain Mertens
Bob the Space Cowboy
by Jeroen Verhoeven
by Pieter Weterings
Cowboy Cormano in the Bank Robbery
Star Wars Double Trouble
by Tijn Koijmans & Niko Vegt
Bob the Space Cowboy
by Eric Toering
Flying Spaghetti Monster
The Tower of Scrapple
by Guus Rammeloo