On behalf of the Editorial Board, we are very pleased to announce the launch of the International Journal of Social Robotics, Springer, with the goal of providing a common platform for researchers, scientists, artists and designers to share their findings. The journal will publish the latest developments in Social Robotics and its integration into our society, covering relevant advances in engineering, computing, psychology, arts, social sciences, and design philosophy. Continue reading “Call for Papers: NEW International Journal of Social Robotics”
I organized the HRI2008 Student Design Competition this year. We had seven teams from around the world, each giving the jury (Hiroshi Ishiguro, Kerstin Dautenhan, Peter Kahn, Karl MacDorman, audience) a five minutes presentation. The students created marvelous robots in the short time that was available to them. In the end, the team from Amsterdam won with their Phobot.
The teams and their robots.
Press coverage of the HRI Converence
- People prefer robots that do small talk, New Scientist, March 20th, 2008
- Robot Fetches Objects With Just A Point And A Click, Science Daily, March 19th, 2008
- HRI2008 Show, The NXT Step, March 15th, 2008
- Hoe aardig moet de mens-machine doen?, Volkskrant, March 15th, 2008, Video
- Robot Helps Those With Degenerative Diseases, RedOrbit, March 13th, 2008
Design Competition event:
- Brave little toaster, Nature, March 26th, 2008
- Cowardly ‘Phobot’ Steals Show at Amsterdam Robot Conference, Fox News SciTech, March 17th, 2008
- Phoboter fürchtet sich zum Sieg, Spiegel, March 18th, 2008
- The Cowardly ‘Bot‘, Popular Science, March 28th, 2008
- ‘Fearful’ Robot Receives Top Honors, Red Orbit, March 20th, 2008
A new conference in the research field of human-robot interaction has emerged. The 1st International Conference on Human-Robot Personal Relationships will take place on June 12-13, 2008 in Maastricht.